• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Impeller and shifter help

fasternu

I have a 2003 yamaha 90 horse two stroke, and just replaced the impeller. I put it all together and everything is great. Took it to the lake, and when I shifted into reverse to pull away from the dock, nothing happened. Tried forward, and nothing again. Basically motor is stuck in nuetral. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it? I am supposed to head to Canada wednesday, so I'm worried about getting it in to a dealer if I need to. Advice anyone?

Are you sure you reconnected the shift shaft correctly? Did you count the threads on the shift shaft prior to disassembly?

If yes, can you see the shift shaft moving up and down as you shift?

Can you see that it's pumping water?

I took the lower unit off with the 5 bolts, and it came off pretty much on its own, so no, I didn't count any threads. After posting, i went back out and dropped the lower unit again. There was a short shaft in the very front (I assume that is the shift shaft?) that wasn't connected. It seemed like it was just a sleeve, no nut to tighten, loosen. I connected it back up and it shifts again. It is definitely pumping water, so that is good. Now I am wondering, when it is in gear and I try to spin the prop, it makes a clicking noise at the prop. Is this normal or is there something else I messed up? I will take it to the lake tomorrow and try it and see how it runs under a load.

If its in fwd gear and it clicks while you're turning the prop clockwise and locks going counterclockwise, them that normal. It's ratcheting on the clutch dog. If it clicks rotating counterclockwise then it's out of adjustment.