• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lens Issue...

I dropped my camera onto a soft grassy surface (thank goodness) yesterday. The first few photos I took after the drop didn't look right so I switched lenses. The camera worked great.

Tonight, I was testing the lens out to see what the issue was, and I noticed a lot of dust on the middle glass. It's a Tamron 17-50 2.8

Is there a way to clean out the dust from the middle of a lens, or do I have to bring it in somewhere. We are leaving for vacation at noon tomorrow (Tuesday), and this is my main sightseeing lens. My alternatives are a nifty fifty, an 85mm, and a 55-250 zoom.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. There is virtually no lens that doesn't have a certain amount of dust in it. I found an interesting way of demonstrating this in an article I found on line a while back. Go to a dirty window in your house, when you focus outside the window at an object do you see the dirt on the window? Nope not unless you have HUGE specs of dirt on the window.

My bigger concern when dropping lenses is focus or knocking a lens element slightly askew and creating focus or sharpness issues. Is that what you are seeing in your test shots? I would be hesitant to rely on that lens if that is the case. If you could pick up a normal kit lens, the 18-55 it does a credible job on outdoor shots. Nat Cam has a ton of used ones for around $85 if the Cities are on your way to your destination. I would lend you a wider lens but I am on my way to Boston via car at the end of the week to move my daughter to grad school.

If none of that works we always make due with what we have! You have a few choices. Enjoy the vacation! Make sure you post shots when you get back.

Thanks, Dan. We're headed out to the Black Hills. One of our daughters is interning at the Black Hills Playhouse in Custer State Park. We haven't seen her since May. We know she's having fun...we rarely hear from her. smile We'll be seeing parts of the Black Hills area we haven't been to yet. I'm really hoping to get a couple of bison photos along with other wildlife.

When I put the lens back on the camera last night, the test shots looked normal. One corner of the post drop test photo looked a little wonky, but when I looked in that area last night, it was fine.

I've driven to New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania, but not to Boston...yet. I hope her move goes well, and you have safe travels!