• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

19?? Force 50hp

I am working on a boat that we got from a family member who can't use it for now, and has not been run for about 3 years. The boat itself is in good shape, and the work done has been straight forward, and simple. The motor has been another thing.

Right away we connected it, and turned the key, and to our surprise it fired right up in a bucket of water. It idled decent, and revved out good. However when we turned the key off (I should have mentioned it is a console boat, with a whole mess of wiring) in about 30 seconds the motor started smoking bad. I disconnected the battery as fast as I could, and it stopped. We could not see any burnt wires or anything, and a while with an electrical tester made us think it had to do with a bad ground, and the key switch being bad. The key switch was replaced, and wiring went over/fixed. When we tried to start it again it wouldn't even try to fire. Some dissecting found that the CDI might have a burnt wire, and it was replaced with a used one. The motor fired right back up after that, but seemed to idle rough, and would die in gear. The carb was cleaned, new plugs in, spark checked, and compression checked (148psi top, 145 bottom), but the bottom cylinder is dead. We tried every thing, switching plug wires, new plugs, different gaps, etc. The top cylinder spark plug looks good, and the bottom is black and soaked in gas. We found that we hooked the coils up wrong, but that only minorly improved how well it idled, and it still wont rev out. We finally took it to the lake, but it was disappointing. It would idle good, but it was boggy unless you punched it, and it would run good at 1/4-1/2 throttle, then bog and run on one cylinder at over half throttle.

I really can't go further than this without knowing more about the motor. The first problem, is I have no idea what year it is, apparently the numbers were printed on a sticker on the transom mount that is long washed away. I could be running the wrong plugs for all I know, I just bought what was already in it. A carb diagram might be nice, it seems like its always the "hidden orifice/jet" that causes the problem. Also is this a typical problem for a Force, and am I looking in the right areas (carb, and coil)?

New gas in it? When you cleaned the carbs did you replace the filter-screen or clean it? If you take the gas line off going to the carb, make sure its pumping gas. Sounds like a gas or jet issue. Did you move any linkage for timing when you were fixing other stuff.

Its brand new 91 no-ox gas mixed 50:1 with synthetic oil and sea foam. I only cleaned the fuel filters/screens, but they were clean anyway. It pumps gas, and I tried pumping the bulb when full throttle and it doesn't do anything at all. Its possible lots of things were moved or hooked up wrong as I'm not the only one fixing this motor.

Check the powerhead over and look for welsh plugs with a number stamped in it. Also take a picture of it. Do the decals have that "digital" look?

Also take pictures of the CDI' and coils. I should be able to get you within a year or 2 just by the look and components.

I'm guessing you still haven't got it running right?

From everything we could figure out, its a 1989-1992. I think we are giving up, we have replaced lots of parts, but it wont run. new cdi, coils, plugs, plug wires, lots of new wires all over, and plenty of others. There is no spark on the bottom cylinder no matter what. I don't own the motor, and the owner is done dealing with it.