• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help with lower unit 25 evinrude

mrpike1973

i'm begining to hate this motor. the motor had fresh lower unit oil this spring when i bought it from a dealer. i have run it about 10 times since i bought it. i checked the oil today white milkshake i dont notice any cracks or anything. i refilled it with fresh but i know that is temporary i got a lot of bucks in this dumb thing. barring a cracked case what would i be looking at price wise 200- 300 bucks or should i just junk this thing while i'm ahead. sorry i'm down but this thing is in the shop more than running. runs great when it does thanks for your help. is a seal job a normal thing or is this like rebuilding a motor or trans on a car thanks

There are seals on the propshaft,Driveshaft,Oring on the carrage.What it needs is a pressure test to locate the water leak.I do know a cheap guy who is near Willmar that can do the work 1/2 price of a shop.He has no overhead and does it out of his garage.PM me your phone number and I'll get you intouch.Darwin is near Willmar isnt it??

took it out tonight for half hour went home all water and oil. i wont be able to fix this for a while. should i drain the oil to leave the water out so the bearings dont get rusty till i could afford to fix it.

Any kind of warranty from the dealer? Did you replace the oil? Did you use new gaskets on the plugs? Is there a gasket on the plug you have been taking out to check the oil? Pull the prop, any line or string on the shaft.

no warranty it was a consignment it was quote gone through. they tested it when i bought it the oil was clean then. replaced oil filled it like you should. put new gaskets in it. no line on prop. took it home instant milk shake cant find any cracks that are easy to see. i checked it this spring clean no water in it.

Are you sure you just don't have bad filler/drain screws/o-rings? Cheap test to find out. A few bucks for new lower and upper fill/drain plugs might be worth it. Good luck.