• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Juneberries VS. Blueberries

pike79

I was looking at blueberries in a seed and nursery catalog and noticed they sell juneberries and was wondering what are the pros and cons of each. The soil in my garden is sandy and I never had a soil test done but assume it would not have a high acidic level required for blueberries. Anyone have any experience planting and growing either of these and can tell me what to expect?

I've never planted Juneberries but have had success with blueberries and would expect both to have the same growing requirements. I'm also in sand and have found that adding a lot of peat moss mixed in well will get you to the right PH. Blueberries need an acidic soil so a soil test is very important. The cheap plastic capsule PH tests are fine. No need to get a complete test unless you're going to plant a few acres of plants.

Second to PH is a good fertilizer for blueberries. Any garden center will carry this.

I also mulch mine with Oak Leaves to keep the PH low and hold in moisture.

Juneberries are way easier to grow, as they are less picky to soil type and PH. Have some "regent" on sandy land and they do fine. Sweet bark and fruit can attract the critters though, the deer mow down the new growth every year and rarely get fruit. Ironically, was just thinking about putting some within the fence this year....tasty little buggers! As mentioned if you can get the Regent ...would do so.....it is more of a bush type that does not grow as tall and spindly. Could be some other new similar cultivars out there though.

Don't know, used to own a landscape company and got containers or bare root on the cheap. Not trying to steer away from the Blue Berries, but have that sandy alkaline stearns county soil, and never had good luck with them....believe me I tried. If your soil is similar to mine, it would be a yearly ....if not more....process. Tried peat and pine needles, but just not very productive.... chemical manipulation might be best...never tried it though. How much are the seeds for how many? Only ask because gut tells me cuttings might be more economical/less time consuming/more effective in the long run......better yet, buy a plant, plant it deep, bending over the branches, pinning down, and covering them with soil, and you should have a ton of small little plants after a month or so.

Pushbutton, Sorry my question wasn't very clear I was wondering about the size of the seed in the fruit? I read some where that the juneberry fruit has a seed in it so big that the fruit was almost useless. I was leaning towards the juneberry until I read that but maybe they had a bad type of juneberry. Thanks for the great information Kopps and PB!

lol..didn't know how to politely tell you your nuts for trying to start them from seed grin On my phone without spellcheck, but stay away from the amilanchier? variety...it is the common northwoods one that can have some bigger seeds. The saskatoon? variety like regent are not as seedy......still can be a little mealy though. Blueberry fruit is way better for fresh eating....not a whole lot of difference in a proccessed product like pies and jams.

I used to live in the Turtle Mountains in ND.Juneberries all over up there.We picked buckets full.They don't have seeds any bigger than a blueberry.The taste is not like blueberries though.More like a mild cherry to me.They do not require an acid soil like blueberries do.