• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lets talk reels

NKLCOLT1911

500's work fine for walleyes.

I've been super happy with the Abu Cardinal c100ui. I have 4 or 5 of them.

Fisherman's Factory Outlet (ABU outlet) has a good deal on them @ 22.99 right now. Shipping kind of kills the deal. I think you can find them for under 30 at most places.

All you guys running shimanos did you swap out the factory lube, or maybe you're not fishing outside? The drag on my sienna 500 cant handle freezing temps without locking up really bad it also becomes stiff to real with.

Im running mostly the $30-40 abus and pfluegers both serving me just fine.

Most spinning reels use oiled felt washers. It's possible that particular reel might have gotten some moisture in it. Also check the line roller, it's easy for water to get into that and freeze.

I'd really like someone to explain how some reels have 3 bearings and

others have 10 and yet seem to be in the same price point and perform

similarly? You do have to wonder where they put 10 bearings in a small

spinning reel, are they talking individual balls?

The ball bearings are held in a ring that nows looks closer to a metal bushing because they often come sheilded. The quantity of how many ball bearings in each ring can make a difference in the quality, for example 6 balls vs 8 balls in the bearing ring. The quality of the ball bearings as in the material and how smooth they are, to include the spacing tolerance of the ball bearings, can make a lot of differences too. That's why some are lousy clacky noisy and others have a smooth motorlike sound.

Key points for bearing placements is where it's all about. IMO there should be one for the line roller, one on the main drive shaft, and one on the handle crank shaft. That's three.

I use all Shimano. I mostly use Sedonna's. I like a higher priced and larger reel because with such a short rod the drag is so important for walleye and pike. For panfish I use smaller less expensive reels since it is basically just a line holder and the drag isn't very important.