• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Model 30 help

icefishingmn

My auger runs and idles good, but when i try to move it and drill another hole it stalls and turns of when i tilt it, any reasons why?

And another thing is that when im done drilling a hole and i successfully move to a different hole, the auger drills half way and just looses its power and doesn't drill, but is still roaring like crazy. so i have to turn it of and then restart it to make it work normal???????

Please HELP!!!

It sounds like the diaphragm in the carb is bad. Acarb kit should take care of it. And oif your using regular pump gas I would stop and switch to nonoxygenated it will save those rubber componants from going bad as often.

You just described my 30 to a T. I put in a crb kit every few years, those diaphrams dry out while in storage an after a several years its time for a new carb kit, but i drain all the gas out mine before storage too. I like running a higher octain in mine when I can remember to buy it. The good thing is auger repairmen love the 30's very easy to wokrk on an adjust the newer ones generaly have to go back to the manufaturer.

Put a kit in the carb. Dump the fuel out of the tank in the spring and your problem will likley go away. If you run non oxygenated fuel youll probably have fewer problems. Alcahol ain't good for nothing but drinking. It has no place in fuel.

And another thing is that when im done drilling a hole and i successfully move to a different hole, the auger drills half way and just looses its power and doesn't drill, but is still roaring like crazy. so i have to turn it of and then restart it to make it work normal???????

Please HELP!!!

From the OP, it sounds like the motor is actually running fairly well but there may be a clutch problem as noted by the underline above. If the motor kills at idle when moving the auger around, first try re-adjusting the low speed mixture then re-setting the idle speed. It may be as simple as that. The clutch slipping problem will need to be addressed by a shop.

To the comments about replacing parts and non-oxy fuel, those Jiffy carbs will run just fine for many years on the oxygenated fuel we have around today and most often the failure mode is just a little gunk plugging up a jet. Just be sure to keep your fuel reasonably fresh (90 days or less) and you should not see any issues. If you want to run premium non-oxy fuel that works as well, just costs you more. As for carb rebuild kits, I would certainly try readjusting the carb using the correct procedure before replacing hard parts.

I've used a few (and have my own) Jiffy Model 30 and they all die when tipped to the side to carry? Just feather the throttle and it will keep running. They've all done this from brand new to very used...

The not drilling 1/2 way through the hole sounds like it could be the clutch. Also possible that it's adjusted very rich and just not cleaning out, or that it hasn't warmed up enough to cut with power yet.

Tucker