• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooking with a "Screaming" Mr. Heater Cooker

gonehunting

Went out for my first time on the ice today. Went to cook dinner with my Mr. Heater Cooker and had a heck of a time. First the thing made a whistling sound that pierced your ears. The whistle would stop once you lifted the pan off the burner but once you put it down it would continue. After that the thing caught on fire. Went to light it again and the propane regulator stuck open catching it on fire again. As anyone else had problems with the cooker regarding the whistling and catching on fire. This is the second one that has done this in two years. Will never buy one again. Time to figure out a way to cook with the Big Buddy Heater. Had enough of sunflower heaters in my day. Any suggestions? Thankfully I cooked outside and not in my new insulated Otter Lodge.

Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone knows where to find the post of cooking with the Big Buddy Heater/Paint Grate please let me know. I would also like to get down to why two Mr. Heater cookers would do the same thing as I experienced. Would it have anything to do with the angle of the propane bottle? The valve connection was at the top (tank not upside down) Any help would be appreciated.

They only made the sound when I put my 10" frypan on top to try and heat the water for my deer sausage. When I lifted the pan off about an inch the whistling sound would stop. As soon as I set it down it would continue. The worst sound you have ever heard. Can't imagine what people on shore thought. It was that loud and obnoxious.

They only made the sound when I put my 10" frypan on top to try and heat the water for my deer sausage. When I lifted the pan off about an inch the whistling sound would stop. As soon as I set it down it would continue. The worst sound you have ever heard. Can't imagine what people on shore thought. It was that loud and obnoxious.

Same thing happened with mine. Never got it figured out. Sold it.

Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone knows where to find the post of cooking with the Big Buddy Heater/Paint Grate please let me know. I would also like to get down to why two Mr. Heater cookers would do the same thing as I experienced. Would it have anything to do with the angle of the propane bottle? The valve connection was at the top (tank not upside down) Any help would be appreciated.

Mine makes the same loud squealing sound, a rather incredible sound. I actaully emailed Mr. Heater twice last year with no response.

It must have something to do with the weight of the pot, mine does it when heating water for eggs in a bag. Sometimes I can move the pot around to lessen the squeal, but the squeal never really goes away.

Please post if you figure it out.

I've been google searching alot of posts regarding cooker and haven't seen alot of good things about them. It also appears their customer sucks. Makes me mad that I spent $45 on something that is so unreliable and dangerous. I've got nothing but good things to say about my Big Buddy heater.

Just checked o-ring and it is there. It flamed up in the burner, not the valve/can connection. Thanks for everyone's replies. Keep them coming. As stated earlier, the screaming only came with the pan in place. Going to light it up again without the pan tonight and see what happens. Fire extinguisher at ready of course.