• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

17 & 1/2 ft Tiller boat

Mr.Perch

The bad news may have to get a new job. Hope not, the family likes it here.

The good news, if I have to go back to the rat race will be making a lot more money. So I am thinking about a new boat. Will be keeping the Tuffy Muskie Rampage, love it but miss a tiller boat? Has anyone been in a Backtroller boat? I like the idea of removable front and rear casting deck extension, for my Muskie fishing alone plus Perch fishing with the family. Like the size of 17 and a half feet. Tuffy 1760 is definitely under consideration too.

I just recently became aware of the Backtroller brand boat and it looks like a real interesting design. I also like the removable rear deck that they offer and wish other manufacturers would implement that idea. For backtrolling with the trolling motor it would be nice to have that area to work in.

The thing that turned me off (just looking at the photos on their HSOforum) were the exposed hinges on every compartment door. I couldn't imagine kneeling down in that boat on those hinges, or walking without shoes. Not to mention it just looks unfinished. Just that flaw alone is enough for me to not consider their boat.

The hinges are an understandable concern. But over the last year, for myself I have not noticed that being an issue at all. What I like about them is that they are easy to clean out if sand gets in the boat, if they ever get loose; they can be tightened quickly and don't wear out like Piano hinges. The one thing that you will really notice about the boat as a whole is that everything was built to last, and to be accessible at any point in time. Every fitting, electrical connection, hinge, pump and hose is right at your finger tips. That part of it is hard to show in pictures. As far as kneeling goes, once you kneel on the Aquatraction Flooring, you may think twice about carpet. Especially snap in. Those puppies are what kill my knees. The will be at the two sports show in the Metro, so hop in and check it out.