• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

miss fire F150 4.6 1997

My son has a 1997 F150 4.6 windsor 133thousand with a miss fire Changed the plugs they were shot also new wires still a miss fire. there is two coil packs up front they are motocraft im not sure if they are 1997 or have been change. a small store up here says to pull 2 coil wires off and if no spark jumping back and fourth there bad well i did that and on both coils i saw no jumping spark. should i just buy 2 new coil pks. thanks for the help

yes check engine light on code p307 cylinder missfire only code. when i take one wire off at time and hold half inch away i see a spark. But if i take two wires off at a time and keep out of way no spark jumping back and fourth on coil? Thank for help

Old school spark test, hold the plug wire at the end with your right hand, left hand on the top of the metal engine. If you just swear, you have weak spark, if you jump, hit your head on the hood, and smack your elbow on the hood, then swear, it is good spark.

This works best if done in front of friends, and when possible, one of them with a video camera smile

Jermey you can feel it a little bit at iddle but when you get up past 2nd gear it runs pretty well. when doing a compression test do i just take out number 7 plug and put gauge in cylinder num 7 and spin truck over. do you think i should change them coil packs im thinking they might be factory coil packs? thank for info also

I think it would be good to do a couple of tests to see if you can narrow down the possibilities befo you start replacing more expensive parts.

You are correct on the compression test. Remember to disable the ignition or fuel system to keep the car from starting. Hold the throttle wide open. Allow the engine to crank over three full revolutions. Keep everything uniform (if you check a cylinder with the plugs in all the other cylinders replace the plug in the cylinder you checked before checking the next cylinder.

An adjustable gad spark tester might shed some light on the subject.

Sorry for long delay Jeremy iv been trying to hunt and work on this thing compression checked out good. I did find that the egr tube going to manifold is broke off fixing that today.With a spark tester should i pull off spark plug wires one at a time and check spark.If no spark can i use it to check spark on the packs also. would i put tester right in plug on coilpack Thank you for your information.