• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oriole's

harvey lee

Seems the world's orioles have found my feeders.

For the month of May, I didn't see but maybe 3 orioles and now I have them all over the place.

I had so many oriole that I could not keep the feeders full for a morning.

So, I now have 5 dishes of grape jelly out and my homemade waterer with sugar water in it. I am going through a qt jar of grape jelly every 2-3 days. Glad my my wife a deal for 3 jars for $5.

I have a couple orioles that are colored differently. The underside of the bird is not bright orange but a dirty yellow with a tad of orange color.

Are they females or a different specie of oriole?

Thanks

I feel your pain Harvey. I have 1 jar of the $1.19 jelly left and they're eating it faster & faster. There are birds other than Baltimore & orchard orioles eating it too such as catbirds and house finches. The goofy house finches are even eating the orange halves.

Sounds like a female oriole from what you describe and Mike posted a photo of one. That one has a little darker head than some of the ones we've been seeing here though making me wonder if it might be a first year male. It's not a female orchard oriole anyway. They're kind of a drab olive color.