• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

86 mercury 35 hp

i have a 1986 mercury 35 hp motor. just bought the boat a month ago. it starts ok, have to push the throttle a little over idle and use the choke when its cold, and when its warm just choke it and fires right up and runs good at a idel in neutral.

when i put it in gear it wants to die so i have to give it more gas then it will be ok. it does run rough when idling in gear but not to bad for a 26 year old moter. will spit and sputter at half throttle. wide open it runs fine.

is this a dirty carb or something?

i have put new plugs in it with no help. i run 91 non oxy with sea foam for fuel.

i did notice when the motor is trimed up fuel will run out of the carb.

any advice?

also does anyone have any experience with the auto blend oil pump by mercury? its conected in the fuel line after the primer ball and sits on the floor of the boat. is it reliable? mine uses about a quart per 6 gallon tank. thats the right mixture for 50:1 i belive.

i know the safest way is to mix the fuel but its very nice to have oil injection.

It does sound like carburation.

I would 1st do a compression test, just to make sure its a sound engine, along with checking for spark. Then you could try adjusting the carburator idle mixture screw. Using a straight blade screwdriver, turn the mixture screw in until lightly seated, counting the turns. Make a mental note of how many turns. Then back it out approximatley 1 1/2 turns. It should run ok there, if not you can adjust it while its running ****in water**** to see if that helps.

How far up is the motor tilted before gas runs out? If the float height is off or the needle has a groove in it, not allowing the fuel flow to stop, you may end up rebuilding the carb anyway, which is more than likely what would need to be done.

1 pint to 6 gallons is 50:1

Auto-blend? I have mixed feelings about them.