• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kicker for 18ft Pro V Lund Tiller 90 Hp

HuntFishDude

Hey,

Looking to hear what people have sued for similiar boat size on Mille Lacs size water. Was thinking of 9.9 but then I think of the weather and such on the lake. I have a 82 lb thrust motor guide right now but would perfer not to have the battery addiction. The electric motor has a bit of an issue in the wind so, dunno more like a 15 Hp for those windy days?

Thanks in advance...

I have an F90 on a 618t. The owner before me had the Variable Trolling Speed switch installed. I had a yamaha T8 on my last boat and can see no reason on this boat. I can bring the F90 down 550 rpms with a pretty good wind behind me and a foot of chop I can get the boat speed down to 1.5 mph.

I have no idea what the VTS switch cost but I would recommend looking into this before you lay out cash on 9.9. Not only that but you will be adding another 200 lbs to your boat if you add a t8.

Good Luck.............

Hmm, thanks scaup, not sure if there is an equivalent switch for Mercury 90 or not, I will look into it...

I have an F90 on a 618t. The owner before me had the Variable Trolling Speed switch installed. I had a yamaha T8 on my last boat and can see no reason on this boat. I can bring the F90 down 550 rpms with a pretty good wind behind me and a foot of chop I can get the boat speed down to 1.5 mph.

I have no idea what the VTS switch cost but I would recommend looking into this before you lay out cash on 9.9. Not only that but you will be adding another 200 lbs to your boat if you add a t8.

Good Luck.............

Its a 2005 4 stroke....

is your merc a 2-stroke 4-stroke and what year is it?

Was wondering, anyone who is running a tiller main and tiller kicker, do you find you need to tie them together for steering accuracy or convenience, or just raise the main when you want that kind of control or just let the main flop and follow the flow? Understand tying them together for a up front steering configuration, just wondering for a tiller setup.

Also for starting battery and for electric trim, if bought, I am assuming people are running a second battery? Most kickers in this class have alternator and charging system...

You will not need a second battery. I have run a t8 and an f150 off the same battery for years. As far as tying them together I would not do that in a tiller configuration. When you are stearing your tiller you will also be stearing your big motor and if you try to steer vice versa you will lose throttle and shift control on your kicker. You are talking about a pretty unique setup and I think there is a reason you don't see it more often. The price difference between a Vantage and batteries and a kicker really is not that great.

Regardless of what size kicker you put on the back you will find that boat control will be a bit of an issue especially in a cross wind (no different than an electric). Also the extra weight could have some effect on whole shot as well as top end. This can be adjusted by putting a different prop on though.

Thanks Scaup. I did call Mercury and ask them about tying the two motors together on the same battery and they said no problem.

Appreciate the advice!

One last choice is port or starboard side of the main for the new kicker. I had the electric on starboard b/c boat came that way. Sometimes felt like I had to stretch a bit for sharp turns ... I guess I will try out both sides sitting in my driveway. Anyone find one work better for any other reason than personal preference?