• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance shoot thru hull transducer

BrandonN

Guys I have a idea! I use a aluminum boat on the shallow rivers around my house and I would like to run my HDS7 but the problem is if I use a regular transducer chances are I am going to break it off..... So I then was thinking of the shut threw hull transducer but I have heard that they don't work well threw aluminum.

So here is my idea..... I buy the shoot threw hull transducer, glue the transducer into some thick wall PVC pipe and put some really strong brackets on there. I think if i wrap the shoot threw hull transducer in PVC pipe that should give it great protection against sand bars, log jams, and stuffing it into the mud.

What are you guy's input

Before I went through all that trouble I would research the Alumaducer from Vexilar.

For $150-$175 you could have a transducer that shoots through aluminum and never have to worry about losing bottom or getting broken off without having to drill any holes in your transom.

The Lowrance skimmer transducer is on a kick-up bracket and you can adjust the kick-up tension to whatever you need it to be, just by adjusting how much you tighten the transducer bolt. I would go that route .... put just enough tension to hold the transducer in place when you're running ..... but so little tension that it easily kicks up ...... and I don't think you have to worry about breaking it off. I'd go that route before I glued it into pvc and put stronger mounting brackets on.

Plus .... you're talking about buying a puck style transducer .... I'd run the skimmer style, and buy a new one if it ever breaks.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Another deciding factor is the through hull does NOT have temp sensor (how can it ?). You will have to add a transom mount unit, which includes also speed.

I looked at the same factor on a large fiberglass boat and decided for the transom mount. When I'll have enough money I will buy a 1000khz through hull, but it's a 1250 bucks option.