• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1972 18hp Evinrude Fastwin

Long story short... I replaced the water impeller which fixed the lack of water cooling. I also put new O-Rings on the spacer around the driveshaft thinking water was getting in there after finding water in the lube. I started it in a barrel, and it is leaking lube where the lower unit conects to the long shaft spacer, you can see it after i move back a bit. Right at the begining it shows water coming out a drainhole. Maybe the water tube is not sealing?

http://s617.photobucket.com/albums/tt253/donkeycondon/?action=view&current=DSC_0083.mp4

The water draining in the beginning of the video is on the inside of the tube the drive shaft is in. It is separated from the exhaust by a spacer (114 in the bottom diagram). The only way water can come out the hole that I can see, is that it is shooting up the water impeller housing and up the drive shaft tube. 39 in the top diagram is the seal allowing water into the lower unit (i ordered a new one), but that is under the impeller. Maybe 11 is a seal?

Gear case

Image.jpg

Exhaust Housing

Image28129.jpg

#11 is a o-ring that goes on the driveshaft,That oring seals the driveshaft in the block.On the dshaft just below the splines there is a grove the oring fits there and seals water from the exhaust housing from entering the block.

my guess is the seal on the block where the water tube enters is shot,or has been deformed by not having lining the tube correctly.Big breake down to replace that seal!!

I beleive 11 is under a year old, but that is way up high. Its just to keep a majority of water from the motor. 39 is the seal I'm assuming is leaking allowing water into the gearcase, I cant see any other way in. I will try cleaning the inside of the water tube, and making sure it is all sealed good when I put it together. It could just be the extra 5" and twistier tube just has more resistance, so the water finds an easier way out, up the driveshaft. If this is normal, and does no damage, I can live with it.

#11 is irrelevant. It's on the end of the driveshaft that goes into the end of the crankshaft, outside the block. All it does is keep water from the splines, again irrelevant here.

39 is the driveshaft seal. It keeps oil in and water out of the gear oil. Unless you are finding water in the gear oil, that's not why you see water coming out of the hole.

Is the engine cooling?

It seems to cool pretty good, it just seems weird because I don't remember it doing anything like this. I am stumped, somehow water is getting out the top of the housing, and filling up fast enough to come out that drain hole. My guess is that it is also going out the sides too because there is gear lube leaking out the shaft extention in the video. I am completely out of ideas.

I just messed around with it for an hour, and after fixing a broken off bolt, I may have found it. If the water tube is not just perfectly adjusted, it is cocked slightly in the top seal causing it to possibly leak. I took the tube out, but it is perfectly clean and clear inside. It might be the problem, but I still dont see how it causes water to back up and find another way out. My dads 1981 Evinrude 25hp does not do this.

If I remember right, the water coming out of the hole was cold, even though the water coming out of the exahst was slightly warm.

The impeller throws alot of water up that tube,if its not seated or the seal is shot it will leak into the exhaust.Heres my other post above.

(my guess is the seal on the block where the water tube enters is shot,or has been deformed by not having lining the tube correctly.Big breake down to replace that seal!!)

Even though the oring on the dshaft has nothing to do with your problem, I put it up to show water does fill or almost the exhaust housing.But it isnt pumped there like yours.It settles naturally to the water level the motor is in.I'd bet you found your problem.Now at a expensive cost 20 25 bucks a tube of 3M 847 gasket seal can be applied to the water tube above the knuckle or pertrusion on the tube, and then inserted in the block for a water tight seal.

It kind of hard to follow what you are saying. So the top seal is leaking allowing water levels to rise inside the exahust housing, and the water naturally wants to level itself out kind of like priming a pump, correct? I will put gasket goop around the tube when I put it together, thanks for the help!

I replaced the seal (#39) and it seems to have done the trick. I didn't gasket the water tube, but I did make it better with some adjustment. At first I saw oil all over the motor, but before I went nuts, I found out it is actually just gas oil this time. I pulled the drain plug, and the oil looked normal. I dont want to mess it up, so I will leave it as it is.