• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smooth Roll-on Truck Bed Liner to seal bottom of Aluminum Boat?!

Cobber

I have a 14' aluminum boat that I'm taking out of retirement (used to be my dads, hasn't been used in 5 years or so), and going to do some fixing up on it and make it in to a small fishing / duck hunting boat.

There is a little leak in the bottom that ends up with an inch or so of water in the bottom of the boat after a couple hours of use.

I have heard that you can use a smooth roll-on bedliner and seal the bottom yourself on the rivets and seams, wondering if anybody has any thoughts or experience around this?? It would be great if it would work!

Thanks!

-Cobber

I would fill the boat up with water to see where and what was leaking. It could be as simple as a couple rivets need tightening. If that's the case, get a buddy or the wife to hold a hammer against the culprit on one side while you hit the other side a couple of times to tighten it up a little. Simple project and a whole bunch cheaper. If the leakers are where you can not get to them, then an alternative may be needed.

I put spray in bedliner inside the bottom of my 14'er and it's as dry as can be. I may purchase some Rhino-Liner or something to roll in just for the added sound-deadening.

Another option would be to remove a large portion of the bottom of your boat, replace it with a screen door, and spray FLEX-SEAL on the screen door - seems to work on TV laugh