• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth Bow?

hartner62

So, my 6 y/o has taken an interest in bow hunting and has been practicing with the one that she made at home. Where is a good place that I can take her so that she can try out some youth models with the intent on purchasing one? I'd prefer not to go broke on a youth bow so please keep that in mind. Any help is appreciated.

One of my coworkers went through this recently. He didn't have enough money to get his three boys each one of the Mathews Genesis bows. Two of them were pretty young as well and he wanted to make sure they really wanted to shoot before spending too much. I can't recall exactly what models he bought, but they were all in the under $100 price range.

Gander Mountain has a bunch of youth bows listed on the HSOforum, most are in the higher price bracket but I don't see why you couldn't go to one of their locations that has an indoor shooting range to let your daughter shoot whatever they have in stock at the store.

I got my 7 year old son a Mini Genesis bow. It is the same bow that he learned to shoot with at various Cub Scout camps. I found a used one online for less than $80. Well built and since there is no let-off it can fit a pretty broad range of kids.

Diamond Razor is what we have. Completely adjustable and a decent price. Gander in Fargo set us up.

I got this bow for my 10 year old daughter. It came with the 30-60# limbs. But, Bowtech has a set of limbs and additional string for the bow that go 15-30# for $85 so I got them too. The nice thing was that the string is exactly the same as the original, nice having an extra. She should be covered for well into her late teens. It's a very nice setup with easy adjustable draw length that does not require a bow press. We got it set at about 20# now and she loves shooting. She put about 50+ arrows through it the other day at the range. I highly recommend this bow for any beginner of any age.

I'll also recommend you check out the Diamond Razor Edge. My girlfriend got that bow and the ability to change draw lengths and weights very easily is super appealing for a youth bow. She can use the bow as long as she grows and as those archer muscles strengthen she can up the poundage. It's a good beginner bow, but if she enjoys archery and ends up getting hooked on it (tough not to) she'll probably want to upgrade when she stops growing. Pretty sure you can get package deals that include bow, rest, and sight for around $250 if you look around. May be more than you wanna spend and some of these other options seem a little easier on the check book... but I can't comment on those. I have played with hers for fun and it definitely has a longer valley that has that "mushy" feel to it. She has begun to notice that more and more (probably wouldn't have if I hadn't said anything about it) and although she shoots fine with it, she does express that is one thing she doesn't care for too much. For the price and features though it is certainly worth what you pay in my opinion.