• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kicker motor bracket question

headcheese

so i bought a kicker for my boat. its an alumacraft tournament pro 175. the kicker i got happens to be a 25 inch shaft. after reading up a bit i

am wishing i would have bought one with a 20 inch shaft... my boat is

still in storage so i havent rigged it yet, but i am afraid the kicker might drag in the water while on plane.

anyone use one of the motor brackets from panther?? would that work to raise it up some more? or do you think the 25 inch shaft will be fine?

I used to have an aluminum boat with a kicker mounted to the transom. I raised my kicker above the transom and bolted it on (through-transom bolts). Worked great for me for many years. Maybe it's an option for you too?

I've never used the panther kicker brackets, but if it's an adjustable bracket then it seems to me that it would be a lot more wobbling / bouncing / flexing when flying across the waves........

I've got a kicker on a static bracket on my current boat, the bracket bolts tight to the transom and the motor bolts tight to the bracket and the bracket does not move. That works great. If you're looking at a static kicker bracket (ie. doesn't move), then I think you would be fine.

thanks for the reply! i cant wait to get my boat out and try it. i was just looking at the panther static mounts. says "The plate also works for mounting long shaft motors on short shaft transoms, because the plate set the motor 4 inches higher on the transom"

sounds like thats what i am looking for if i have a problem with it dragging

I have a long shaft kicker on my Crestliner and and it is just attached to the transom with the screw type bolts. It does not drag while towing or on the water when on plane. Mine has electric tilt and trim and it will raise well above the water while on plane.

Your boat may be different but I don't think your going to have an issue with the motor being too long.

Mike