• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is Nikon D-5100 to Much to Start With?

I've owned several cameras, from Minolta SLRs to Kodak point and shoot stuff. Getting ready to retire, and really want to follow a desire for a hobby of photography. Doubt theres much professional use in store, but a lot of nieces and nephews have weddings in the future. First grandchild is due next month. Retirement should free up some time to really take advantage of it. Sam's club have a $900 box with two Nikor lenses. Think it would make a nice retirement gift for myself. I handled it in the store and it seems to fit nicely. I'll grade my ability as at least average or above, based on years of picture taking. I understnad the basics, but really look forward to expanding it. Expect to take some classwork at local Community college. What I want to avoid is buying one and wanting to upgrade as soon as I get into the hobby. It's a bunch of money, but I expect retirement gifts might be a goodly potion of it. I'm thinking this what I should do. Anything I need to be aware (or afraid) of?

I just grabbed a D5000 at a pawn shop and I think it's pretty much the same but 12.1 MP. Just ordered a AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

lens for it. My first digital SLR. Looks to be a fine setup.

So far - so good. Very easy to take photos with. I have not gotten too deep into the features yet. Currently working on fast shutter speeds with a group of Hummingbirds. Boosting the ISO setting to get there. Seems to be easy to use. I expect quality, with the Nikon name. Glad I got it. Just a part of the retirement stuff I'm loving every minute of.