• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plug threads

harvey lee

I have always had a marine dealer change the plugs and when I took the bottom plug out, it turned out very hard.

When they put the plug in the last time, they must gave damaged the threads as the first 3-4 threads look to have been damaged.

Can I run a thread chaser thorugh the hole to fix this?

If so, how do I clean any metal pieces out of the cylinder that may go in? Thinking I could try and suck out through the plug hole what I could with a vacumn and the turn the motor over some with all the plugs out.

Would a can of compressed air or a air nozzle on the compressor blow any fine metal pieces out of the plug hole?

Will that work or is there something else I should try?

Should I have the piston at the top or bottom of the hole when I use the thread chaser?

I have put heli-coils in plug holes and blocks but I have never used a thread chaser.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about the stripped threads. Aluminum and steel don't mix well, FYI do not ever try to take them out hot, very bad results. My recomendation now would be to hand the problem off to a professional. They will heli-coil the threads, drill it oversize and install an insert to repair the threads. Also I don't believe it was the previous tech that damaged the threads, corrosion was the culprit if the tech screwed up, there wouldn't be any threads left and the plug probably would have came out undr operation. Should you change plugs yourself, in the future use anti-seize compound on the threads. best of luck.

They were cold when I removed them.

I do not know if it was corrosion as the plugs I pulled were in the holes for only 2.5 years. All pulled out easy but one and that one I made sure I removed it very easily and kept even pressure on the ratchet as I removed them.

Only 3 threads are iffy and they are the first 3 threads. Talked to a few people and they figured a thread chaser would work fine.

I have always used anti seeze on any plugs I put in but I did not put these in.

Used a thread chaser this am and all is well with the plug in with a great fit. Used wd-40 on the thread chaser also.

Blew the plug hole out as I went along and then pulled all the plugs and turned the motor over to make sure I had nothing in the cylinder.

Put the ears on and ran it and it seems to be as good as new.

Was very concerned some alum filings could have gotten in the cylinder and thats why I blerw it out as much as I did.

I did do that. I also took the chaser out every few turns and took some grease and put it on a pick and removed anything I could see. Just in case.

Seemed like it took forever as I was so worried the chaser may break off and then I would have had a disaster. Never used one before and was not sure how much pressure I could put on the ratchet when running it through the threads.