• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Do I Install These Stupid Trailer Lights?

TMF89

So we're replacing the running lights on the wheel-wells of our boat trailer. We got new ones at Wal-Mart, and I have no idea how they install. There are no instructions for them, and it doesn't make sense. Here are two pix, one of our wheel well and one of the back of the lights. The back of the light has a terminal for the positive connection, and three terminals that apparently do nothing (I assume one is to run a negative to a ground). It came with two very small bolts and a plastic adhesive backing. I can't figure out for the life of me how to install this stupid thing. Like I said I imagine I run the positive wire to the positive end and then have to ground it out on the trailer somewhere (will this affect my brakes/blinkers since they're on the same circuit?), but for actual installation I haven't a clue. There are no holes for the screws it came with to go in, and I'm lost. I'm trying to upload a pic but it's not working, so I'll post one as soon as I got it figured out. In the meantime here's a link to the product. Thanks guys!

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Thanks! What about the negative end? Do I just attach the negative end of the trailer wire to one of those three holes? Here's what I'm talking about by the way.

423473_10150656994783707_508623706_93146

You don't attach the negative anywhere. The ground is connected by the bolts/screws fastened to the frame, which is ground for everything since it is attached to the metal hitch ball, and your WHITE wire on plug connector carried the ground also.

Just connect the positive to the lead, and screw the light on frame.

Sounds good thanks. I did find that there is a second terminal for a negative wire on the light after I popped the fixture off. Is the one visible in my photo the positive and other one the negative? Does it matter which I hook up to which? Thanks!

Also I didn't find any mounting holes built into the bulb. The screws seem to fit going into the light from behind through those two side holes (I'm guessing one screw is supposed to hit that metal piece to ground it? but they don't actually screw in, they just freely slide in and out. Any ideas?

The screw fastens to the tra1ler frame/fender. You have to drill a hole, slightly smaller than the screw, so it can grab and hold.

You don't have plastic fenders, right ?

Thanks. We were actually replacing the lights, so instead of drilling new holes we just got some bolts, nuts, and washers and fastened them that way. Question, the negative connectors are fairly loose, they'll stay in and work, but if they get nudged they'll pop out. I'm thinking at some point I'll run some glue/epoxy around the rubber part of the connector and fasten it to the fender/light that way. Would that work or is there something I'm not aware of?