• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

25-40 hp outboard recommendations?

311Hemi

So the 25hp Merc I was interested in turned out to be a bigfoot...so my search continues.

I need a 25hp-40hp 4 strk, and have around $2500 +/- to spend. I am leaning towards the 25hp size thinking that they will troll slower on my mod v-16 tracker aluminum boat. Anyone have any experience with this...will the 40's troll a lot faster than a 25?

Also, been looking at a few 02-06' 25hp Yamaha's that I really like, but have also seen a few 04' 25hp Honda's in a similar price/year range that also have tilt/trim, which would be nice. I have also seen some newer 07=09' Merc EFI models for right around $3k. I have heard the Honda can be a little more finicky, and I know they have 3 carbs vs the one on the Yamaha which could be a little more difficult to pull/clean.

Anyone have any info to sway me one way or another? I am a Yamaha guy when it comes to outbards.....just having trouble trying to decide which way to go.

I have a 2001 25 HP Yamaha on my 16' Alumacraft. 10 years and ZERO problems. Thought a 40 would be nice, but I spend a lot more time fishing than I do running from spot to spot. The 25 is perfect for me, and I can't say enough good things about it. My top end speed is about 22-23 mph.

IF I fished bigger lakes much, I might consider a 40.

The trim and tilt would be nice to have on the 25, think it would be a must on a 40.

The only thing I don't like about my Yamaha? I've pulled it out more than a couple times with the motor still running, cause you can't hear it. blush

Well, I picked up an 06' 25 Yamaha 4 strk yesterday so it looks like I am set.

I do wonder how much faster a 40 would be at idle vs a 25, given testing them on the same exact rig. I think the 40 idles a little lower (50-100 rpms less) and has a little different gearing, plus it would have a bigger prop so I would think it would make enough of a difference (.5-1.5 mph?).