• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Proposed Wolf Snaring Regulations..

Saw this in H.F. 2171...so they are working towards the season and special regulations and changes in current regs to add the Wolf trapping season!

Sec. 43. RULEMAKING; USE OF SNARES.

(a) The commissioner of natural resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part

18.276234.0100, to include a subpart that prohibits the use of carcasses of domestic animals for taking wolves on public lands.

(B) The commissioner of natural resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part

18.306234.2400, subpart 5, to provide that when taking wolves, snares may not be set in trails.

© The commissioner of natural resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part

18.326234.2400, subpart 7, to provide that a snare set by a licensed wolf trapper to take a wolf may not be set so that the bottom of the loop is more than 18 inches above the first surface beneath the bottom of the set snare loop, and the top height in that subpart does not apply to snares set for wolves.

(d) The commissioner of natural resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part

19.46234.2400, subpart 8, to provide that during the wolf season, licensed wolf trappers may use snares, provided:

(1) the diameter of a snare loop does not exceed 16 inches when fully open; and

(2) the cable includes stops affixed to the cable to ensure that the portion of the cable that makes up the noose loop may not be less than six inches when fully closed.

(e) The commissioner of natural resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part

19.106234.2400, subpart 9, to provide that during the wolf season, licensed wolf trappers must use snare cable at least 7/64 inches in diameter.

(f) The commissioner may use the good cause exemption under Minnesota Statutes,

19.13section 14.388, subdivision 1, clause (3), to adopt rules under this section, and Minnesota Statutes, section 14.386, does not apply except as provided under Minnesota Statutes, section 14.388.

There are a couple different proposals on the table for the cost of the licenses...the one the DNR first proposed was $38 for hunting and $50 for trapping...another one in the senate proposes $20 for hunting and $50 for trapping...so there will be a debate on this also...there are also proposals about bag limits...DNR proposed 1 per hunter/trapper...others have proposed no limits...just that season is closed once the quota is reached...and speaking of the quota's that also is up for debate...The DNR proposed the 400 wolf limit as a conservative figure for the first season...to be adjusted as they learn more about success ratios, etc...I did a little research on the wolf population and harvest statistics on our neighbors to the north...Manitoba has an estimated Wolf population of about 4,000 animals...Anyone with a valid hunting or trapping license can take one wolf...no annual harvest quota's are set...And the interesting thing I found was that the "annual harvest" in Manitoba only averages about 350 animals hunting & trapping included...the only thing it doesn't take into account is how many the treaty indians take as they are not required to report harvest numbers to the MNR...as a comparrison, Manitoba has about one third the number of hunters as we have here in MN...and the deer harvest is about a fourth or less of what MN numbers are...45,000 whitetail per year vs about 200,000 in Mn...

The debate is on and it will be an interesting one to watch with so many "interested" party's...deer hunters, livestock producers, trappers, and the "wolf advocates" to name just a few....

I've been watching for wolf tracks this winter and noticed that they run the beaver channels through the sedges. I wonder if that would be considered a trail as far as hanging snares?

"snares may not be set in trails."

That has since been clairified...it now state's deer, elk, or moose trails...along with alot of other changes...here is the latest version of the proposed regulations for "Wolf snares"

Sec. 68. RULEMAKING; USE OF SNARES.

(a) The commissioner of natural resources shall add a definition of a wolf snare to Minnesota Rules, part 6234.0900, to read: "'Wolf snare' means any snare set that:

A. has a maximum loop diameter greater than ten inches, but less than or equal

to 18 inches;

B. has a cable diameter of at least 7/64 inches;

C. includes stops affixed to the cable to ensure that the portion of the snare that makes up the noose loop may not be less than three inches in diameter when fully closed;

D. includes a breakaway device that would cause the snare loop to break when

pulled by a moose; and

E. includes a diverter wire that extends 27 inches in both directions, measured perpendicular to and from the top of the snare loop. The diverter wires must be positioned at an angle no more than 20 degrees from the horizontal plane of the top of the snare, and the snare must be set within 20 yards of bait."

(B) The commissioner of natural resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part

6234.2300, to include a subpart to read: "Wolves may be taken with snares or wolf snares as defined in part 6234.0900."

© The commissioner of natural resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part

6234.2400, subpart 7, to read: "A snare may not be set so that the top of the loop is more than 20 inches above the first surface beneath the bottom of the set snare loop. During the wolf season, licensed wolf trappers may use wolf snares but a wolf snare may not be set so that the bottom of the loop is more than 18 inches above the first surface beneath the bottom of the set snare loop."

(d) The commissioner of natural resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part

6234.2400, subpart 5, to read: "Snares, including wolf snares, may not be set in deer, elk, or moose trails."

(e) The commissioner of natural resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part 6234.2400, to include a subpart to read: "Licensed wolf trappers shall set wolf snares for wolves no closer than 500 feet to another wolf snare set by the same licensed wolf trapper."

(f) The commissioner may use the good cause exemption under Minnesota

Statutes,section 14.388, subdivision 1, clause (3), to adopt rules under this section, and Minnesota Statutes, section 14.386, does not apply, except as provided under Minnesota Statutes, section 14.388.

Oh and in the current bill they have also changed the cost of license for residents...

Wolf hunting Residents $26

Wolf hunting non-residents... $250

Wolf trapping Residents... $26

Wolf trapping non-residents...not allowed

Quote:
Quote: "Licensed wolf trappers shall set wolf snares for wolves no closer than 500 feet to another wolf snare set by the same licensed wolf trapper."

What could possibly be the logic behind this provision?

Gang sets. Often when one wolf is caught the others in the pack will mill around the area for awhile and get hung up. A good trapper could pick off 4-5 wolves in a solid gang set if the lay of the land works out. Basically a gang set is a fence of snares, say one trap or snare in the runway or trail; once the lead wolf is caught the others scatter off the trail and get into the gang sets. They are looking to prevent double catches or single hunter overharvest.

Quote:
Four hours to properly skin a wolf? You really need a new knife!

Actually, my estimate of 4 hours is probably on the low side, according to Fur Harvesters Auction. So I guess me and Fur Harvester's Auction both need a new knife... wink

Quote:
In order to properly skin and stretch wolves and wolverines a fur

harvester has to understand the end use for these species. In the

case of wolves you have to be prepared to handle a large fur bearer

with the proper equipment. Skinning and stretching an animal

that can weigh over 100 lbs can be a challenge right from the

start. Knowing how to prepare the right pelt for the taxidermy

market can take in excess of 5 hours per pelt. Before you invest that

much time and effort make sure the skin is worth the effort. Size,

fur quality, colour and character of the pelt must be considered

before investing

And you need a 96" board to stretch one. Wolves are also famous for turning green in the abdominal area in a hurry if they are not taken care of right away.

http://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/pelthandling.pdf

Actually, my estimate of 4 hours is probably on the low side, according to Fur Harvesters Auction. So I guess me and Fur Harvester's Auction both need a new knife... wink

Quoting scripture from FHA now, so it must be so. I've handled both wolf and coyote and there is not much difference. If it took me 4-5 hours to skin anything I would just quit trapping.

Yes I will skin your wolf for $50......so look me up. And I will guarantee my work.

At night they like too run the culverts when they are iced up too. Like almost every night. Besides lots of the pulping trails. I see tracks every day. Lots of tracks on the pulping trails and dirt roads here in a 30 mile stretch. Wolf piles all over the trails up here. shocked