• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lets talk rabbits and squirrels

mainbutter

I've got the whole weekend off of work and am finally able to get to our land up in Pine County for the first time since deer firearms opener.

My goal for the weekend is to bag SOMETHING with my blowgun (my personal effective range is 12 yards or so) that'd contribute to the small collection of self-harvested fly tying materials, and with a small game license I'm pretty much thinking a grey squirrel or rabbit. I gave squirrel hunting a chance from the deer stand one morning back in November and was successful with the blowgun, but the same spot this evening didn't have a single furry tail visible.

I was out for about two hours this evening until dark and didn't see a thing except birds, but the limited amount of snow on the ground sure has tracks of both rabbits and squirrels. It's kinda odd that the forest was so quiet this evening, it seemed so vibrantly alive back in November.

I don't see rabbits very often around here, but they do seem to be more difficult to spot.

I'm still quite new to hunting in general, and to be honest I've never payed attention to the movements of small mammals before this past year. What are small game up to this time of year, especially with this warmer weather and lack of snow? Any tips on finding some, and anything in particular I should look for that might be attractive to either quarry tomorrow morning? Would you suggest I find a good looking spot and sit and wait, or take a more active approach and search a wider area (but possibly spook stuff)?

If it makes a difference any anyone knows the area for area-specific suggestions, we're in pine county east of 65, west of 35, with the pine river running through 120 acres.