• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax Zim Bog Pointers for a New Guy

Hi everyone -

Up until recently, my photography has been focused strictly on landscapes and I was building my lens collection around this purpose. But, with the addition of my daughter and learning another little one is coming soon, I decided to swap out the manual focus primes for some zooms and cover more on the same budget (no new purchases for a while!).

As part of this swap, I ended up with a 5DII, 7D, 17-40, 85 1.8, 100-400. I figure I can cover anything from wide landscapes to family to wildlife with this setup given that each of my lenses can now do double duty on two different sensor formats.

Enough rambling - the point is, Ive never had a long telephoto lens before so Ive never dabbled much with wildlife photography. I plan to take off a day from work to head to the Sax Zim Bog, but I dont really have a clue where to begin. Do I travel slowly on the dirt roads, put on my camo and hide somewhere, or something else?

Im most interested in catching one of the Snowy owls, but Id be thrilled to see just about anything except more Whitetails, I have those in my back yard in Duluth.

Thanks for any tips, hints or pointers everyone!

Mostly stick to the roads and visit the feeding stations. Your chances of finding a snowy owl in the bog are not very good, almost impossible. You have a far better chance of a snowy owl in Duluth. Great gray owls live in the bog and are easy enough to find.

Thanks for the tips, the other thread looks good.

Too bad about the Snowy owl bit though, Jay. Ive heard the owls in Duluth are tagged and marked more often than not so I was hoping to find them somewhere else - the search continues then I guess.

Thanks again!