• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying an out of state boat requirements?

bigeyes75

Does anyone know what exactly you need to do if you buy a used boat from a private seller from a different state?

They also have a loan out on the boat.

I know I will need a lean release from his bank in order to put the boat in my name.

I just have no idea how this will go down. I don't want to give him the money with no title in my hand.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Meet with the person selling the boat make sure it's what you want. Then both of you go to his bank where the lean is held and have a banker give you a lean release. If you are buying the boat with a loan the other banker can fax over the paper work to your bank. Done deal! The best thing about buying a used boat is thet you don't pay sales tax in MN. When you transfer the title.

I purchased my boat from an out of state guy and this is how it went down.

First I looked at about 80 pictures that where emailed to me of every possible inch of the boat. I got a printout of the engine by his dealer so that was all cool.

2, we agreed on a price, he sent me copies of the trailer, boat and engine paperwork.

3, I took that info to the bank, they cut a check in both names for safety

4, I gave him my bankers phone number so he could verify all funds where good.

5 We met half way (Iowa), put the boat in a lake, went for a test drive and the deal was done.

In your case, if there is a lien on it, just have your bank contact his bank and then they can figure out how to do the money transfer. I am sure that the pay off will be a wire transfer between the two institutions.

When you go to transfer it to your name at the DMV, it's just like a car but in this case you only pay tax on the trailer so you will have to tell them what you think the value of the trailer is alone.