• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rear Drop Down ATV rack

BoxMN

Looking at possibly getting a drop down rear rack for my Foreman 450. I already have a bag that works great, but with the drop down rack I could still have that on but also have room for a couple 5 gallon buckets, cooler, gas can, etc. And the ones I have been looking at seem (from description and pics) like easy to remove the drop down portion when I didn't want ti there.

Anybody have good or bad about any particular model or brand? Many look like same design with different names. Most are about $99 (cabelas) to about $150. Some have the ability to drop the back "gate" some are just a box. The one I like has a "tailgate" but also is coated with nonslip, I assume like a rhinoliner type bedliner spray.

Also, since this will cover my license, though it is mesh, is that problem having it partially covered, as long as it is there?

Thanks for any info!

I thought about the drop down rack, but it looks like it might be harder to access the hitch. Instead I bought the flat rack that extends out the same as the drop down. I actually bought the combo front/rear. Check out the big C HSOforum under "closeouts". They have the set for $150. I found mine from a guy on a-sales-site new for $75! Way better than some hillbilly wood box,too. The universal hardware that came with just wasn't going to work/look good on my 450 Foreman. I don't know if other people have tried it, but instead of drilling holes all over the existing rack, I used some heavy duty zip-ties. I jumped up and down on it(well kinda)and it seems very strong. I put enough on so I really don't think they'll snap in the cold. Black ones so you don't even notice them. That way if I take the rack off it isn't all hacked up.

I've had mine for 8 years and really like it. Has room for buckets,Vex or dogs. On an 04 Rancher. No problems using the hitch. Put your license on the back of the basket. Also bolted thin plexiglass to the front mesh (towards wheels) to keep all the crud from getting in basket.

Just got one for Christmas from Cabelas. Other than the crappy hardware to mount it, it is great – I just got some U bolts and put it on snug as I wanted it. I have Rubicon and it is just great on there. I, too, liked the removal basket – for trailering in some situations and also for the following. They used to carry a Koplin that was really heavy duty; the only problem may be that the basket portion cannot be removed. The “so what” of that is that it makes it really tough to access the back storage cubby/compartment on Honda’s (maybe others?). I really like it and I used it for ice fishing with great success – looking forward to hauling chainsaw and gas back there too.

Ordered one up, will take some pics and give my thoughts after using it for awhile. Thanks all for the advice! I ended up getting the drop down with the "gate". Hope it won't rattle too much smile