• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cant shift when cold

machohorn

I have a 08 700 ranger, when it gets cold I cannot shift it from reverse to hi or low until it warms up. Now it has only been about 20 for the low I can only imagine it when it hits -20 out on the lake This looks like a sealed unit on both ends. Now my brake cable is even sticking, This is open on the bottom and I can see how crud and water gets in there. Please help. I checked Polaris and they want 120 for the cable on the shifter. Any thought people? Thanks Rick

Take the cable off and lube them up with cable lube to displace the moisture. No reason to replace them unless they are worn through. Follow the shifter linkage back to where it connects onto the transmission. Moisture gets into that small casting that the gear indicator is mounted to and causes problems. It needs to be taken apart, cleaned, greased and resealed.

First trip out last year my throttle cable froze, I left it run with the fish house cover wrapped around it and the heat on in the cab, seat off and it eventually unfroze. Removed it and relubed it worked fine the remainder of the year.

He's right on. You will need to remove the c-ring that holds the gear position sensor in place and remove the bolts that hold the aluminum cover on. there is a gasket there that may have to be replaced however some gasket making adhesive or "3-bond" also works well. Be carefull removing the parts as there is a small spring in there that keeps tension on the shift leg. Clean up all the parts inside and re-install in the order they were removed and don't be afraid to be over generous with the grease. This is basically the same transmission that is in the Snobear so we have had our share of experience with the issue. I think alot of it comes from the condensation that builds up from going in and out of the garage and the water not being able to escape out of the cavity. If there's not moisture in there then service out the cable as mentioned before.. Good luck! A handy tip is to take a digital photo of the inside of the little case to make sure your orient everything the way is should be when you go to re-install.

Thanks, I wou;d have never thought of the case, I was also ready to change tranny fluid but everyone I talk to says there is no way water to get in there unless it sat underwater, and although it has been trough water and mud it never sat or was above the vent tube. Thanks again I will try that when I get home tonight.