• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cold enough to dormant seed grass yet?

lawdog

Why don't you want to wait until spring?

my theory is whether you throw it down now or in spring when conditions are right, its not gonna do you any good. It might be one less thing to do in the spring, but some of it might get washed away from the thaw too.

personally I don't see in fall, I wait until conditions are right in spring and let er rip.

Think it kinda depends on the situation. Prolly a little early for where I'm at in the southern part of the state yet and I think lawdog is about on the same latitude. I had excellent success frost seeding back in November 2006 when we did our remodel project. I needed to get the slope covered anyway around the new part so I levelled the ground, seeded it, ran over it with the 4 wheeler to tamp it in slightly and covered it with a thin layer of straw ahead of what was likely to be the freeze up. I got a half inch of rain on it and it froze up as forecasted. Next spring after it started to warm up it took off like gangbusters. I removed the straw and it's by far the nicest area of lawn we have. It was a relatively open winter and what is forecast for what it's worth is a colder and wetter than normal winter.