• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Age this deer!

jnorm1984

I know the racks don't mean everything. And I hope that people aren't hunting for "racks" and are actually hunting for the meat. If you want a big deer just for the big rack, you should pick up shed hunting.

Sadly I know people pick deer by rack, not by body size and meet quantity(NOT Saying EVERYONE Does This). Myself, I will shoot whatever buck comes my way for the meat. I have just been lucky enough to have that exact deer be a nice buck.

I know the racks don't mean everything. And I hope that people aren't hunting for "racks" and are actually hunting for the meat. If you want a big deer just for the big rack, you should pick up shed hunting.

Sadly I know people pick deer by rack, not by body size and meet quantity(NOT Saying EVERYONE Does This). Myself, I will shoot whatever buck comes my way for the meat. I have just been lucky enough to have that exact deer be a nice buck.

Why is this "sad"? I hunt for the rack. If I don't fill my tag, I don't complain. If I do fill my tag, I eat the venison. If I hunted for just the meat, I'd shoot a yearling doe. And if I feel I need deer meat, that is what I'd do. But I don't hunt for the meat. I am not ashamed of it, nor do I think I should be. I simply love watching deer and love the challenge of hunting and killing a mature buck; basically, I like the sport of it all.

I also shed hunt, and it is a lot of fun, but that doesn't compare what-so-ever to the challenge and excitement of hunting a mature whitetail on his terms, in his territory. Sheds can be found in a winter deer yard, over a late standing food source, or by pure boot leather; killing big bucks isn't that simple.

Personally, I'd suggest that if people are hunting simply for the meat, they should shoot young doe's; anything other than a rutted up buck, for the quality of the tablefare. Or cheaper yet, buy beef, pork, turkey, you name it, in the grocery store as it is probably cheaper than buying tags, hunting gear, bullets, gas, missing work, etc. to shoot a deer. But I am smart enough to realize and understand that deer hunting is a lot of things to a lot of people, and I am not going to judge someone for shooting one deer over another because of the perceived quantity or quality of the meat (or worse yet, for the reasons that they hunt).

Why is this "sad"? I hunt for the rack. If I don't fill my tag, I don't complain. If I do fill my tag, I eat the venison. If I hunted for just the meat, I'd shoot a yearling doe. And if I feel I need deer meat, that is what I'd do. But I don't hunt for the meat. I am not ashamed of it, nor do I think I should be. I simply love watching deer and love the challenge of hunting and killing a mature buck; basically, I like the sport of it all.

I also shed hunt, and it is a lot of fun, but that doesn't compare what-so-ever to the challenge and excitement of hunting a mature whitetail on his terms, in his territory. Sheds can be found in a winter deer yard, over a late standing food source, or by pure boot leather; killing big bucks isn't that simple.

Personally, I'd suggest that if people are hunting simply for the meat, they should shoot young doe's; anything other than a rutted up buck, for the quality of the tablefare. Or cheaper yet, buy beef, pork, turkey, you name it, in the grocery store as it is probably cheaper than buying tags, hunting gear, bullets, gas, missing work, etc. to shoot a deer. But I am smart enough to realize and understand that deer hunting is a lot of things to a lot of people, and I am not going to judge someone for shooting one deer over another because of the perceived quantity or quality of the meat (or worse yet, for the reasons that they hunt).

Well put ItNW, I couldn't agree more!