• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any tips on horse radish?

JPenny

You can plant it really early in the spring as well... Like as soon as you can get a shovel to break the frosty soil type of thing.

When you do go to plant it, you will have to take steps to limit the root runners or it will eventually take over the rest of the garden.

The trick is to take a 5 Gallon bucket, cut the bottom off and sink it into a hole so that just the top lip of the bucket is above ground. The root runners can't get back down deep enough, turn the corner and come back up.

I knew a guy once who did this same thing with half buckets... And 90% of the time it worked to contain. But the 10% of the time that the runners managed to turn that corner and start a new plant, he ran into more take over problems.

I have to say that I haven't had any problems with the plant running all over. We have 2 plants by the side of our garden and have been alternating times when digging the roots. We do it in the fall--one plant one year the other the next year. We grind fresh root and then freeze the remainder for grinding later during the year