• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where are the sunfish?

Me and a couple buddies of mine went ice fising and we were in a 15-18 foot hole and the only thing we got were perch and some walleye. We only cought icrappie other then the perch and walleye and no sunfish.My question is where were the sunfish and was the spot we in the right spot for them.We wasn't sure to drill holes in shallower water or what!

Yeah, if they aren't in the deepest hole then the only place to go is shallower....

It isn't uncommon for Bluegills and Sunnies to be shallower then most other species, quite often being buried in the still green weeds until oxygen levels die off along with the weeds and forces them out deeper.

I have seen them be suspended just below the ice at times over deeper water as well.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 12-31-2002).]

You have to realize that comparing this year to any other isn't a good idea. As PCG said. You will find them shallow on a lot of lakes still. With relatively thin ice on most lakes for this time of year, as well as little snow cover, there is still really good weeds in shallow water. As long as we continue with these conditions, you don't want to overlook the shallow water.

Under normal conditions for this time of year you were in the right spot. Look for some good weeds near that deep hole and you will find the gills you are after. Scott Steil