• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

results

i jjust got back from fishing and i caught thebiggest bluegill of my life it was twice the size of my hand it probly weighs 1.5-2.5 pounds you just find the big ones and they keep comin i used a lot of differnet baits i was on lake demontrevil beleive it or not
it was fun
thanks a heap

I imagine frogs would work as well as they do on Walleyes, Bass, and Pike. However, the problem is finding frogs that are tiny enough for the Bluegills to suck them in.

Remember that Gills' have very tiny mouths. Even at #1, they are very hard for an adult to "lip" for a photograph.

Your best bet is to use 1/64 to 1/32 oz tackle, tipped with wax worms, or small pieces of earth worms.

The other thing that works excellent on Bluegills is Berkely Powerbaits.

Quite often, it is more the shape of the lure that attracts a curious Gill' then the scent itself.

Look at first ice fishing, and nothing beats a plain dark shank hook with a tiny split shot crimped to the shank...Tipped with nothing at all.

Gentz came out with lines of lures to target Bluegills specifically. Two of the best were pounders and fat boys.

Pounders were designed to mimick a split shot, and were grey in color. If your fishing in the winter with a Vex, you will notice that the Bluegills will often bypass your bait and go stare at your sinker, often times you'll feel a bump as they suck it in and spit it out.

It is most definatly a timing issue for hookset when fishing with a "spit shot rig", as the fish get alarmed when they get a taste of lead. That is why I do NOT recomend trying this tactic in the open water, as the bites are very quick and hard to detect.

Stay with small lead heads, or winter terminal tackle, tipped again with small portions of worms. Keep the bait short, keep the tip of the hook covored by the worm, and keep your jig horizontal and you will have much better success catching Bluegills.

PCG