• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shallow crappies

onlabor i went fishing and was casting a little 2/3 inch long silver meps with a fish hea made of metal instead of that fuzzy stuff and i was catchig 1 pound bluegils and a few crappies i ve only caught grappies like this once and can anyone explain why they were shallow?

------------------
drags make music

i believe that they were supended off the shallows and when the food moved in they fallowed.. i have found then in shallow and in the middle of the day.. that is the only reason i believe they were there.. unless they were chased there by old toothy..i believe that food dictates where they are no matter what time of day..
may the bluegills and crappies be big ones..

------------------
Dwight Skillings
[email protected]

Deep or Shallow???

Good question. As a rule your bigger fish will be deeper. Big fish spend most of the time in Deeper water (maybe that is why they are big). This weekend, it the LETS tournament on Big Pine, some of the teams found the nice slabs in deep water fishing walleye. Although getting numbers to bite was difficult in the wind a couple teams brought in dandy slabs.

I fished the shallower water for numbers and was able to find good numbers but not the 13 inchers the guys fishing deep were getting. I should add that fishing was very tough in the wind!!

As for the gills, well, they were really shallow. Two-Three feet at the most. That was definetly a suprise, but it goes to show that you never want to overlook that shallow bite. If you can't find them deep or in the traditional spots, don't be affraid to try shallow. Scott Steil

We found panfish in 1-3 feet of water in bright sunlight on Big Pine last weekend. We couldn't find them any deeper than that, and it was really strange. The big slabs were deeper, like 20 feet deep or so and we couldn't target them if we wanted to in all the wind and waves. When it was hot and dead calm I found the slabs in 8' on the weed line while pre-fishing. The opposite of what I expected!

However on Minnewaska, we found 11" crappies in 5-8" of water nestled into the heavy weed cover at high noon. We dropped the bait just over the weeds and it worked like a charm. That was the only time and place they would bite. Boats, skiers, jetskis were flying around us and all the fish didn't seem to care. Big sunnies were deeper in 15 feet for us.