• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bluegill/crappie lakes help please

i am looking for some lakes with good sized bluegill and/or crappie near stillwater MN i would lik to get som bites on my inexperienced freinds line he has only been fishing a few times and knows only the basics
please help

There are beaucoup crappies in the rivers. I don't fish the St. Croix much but I do know the size and numbers are good if you can find 'em. I do fish the Mississippi quite a bit in the summer and do well pretty much every time out. If you can find submerged timber (usually trees that have eroded from the bank and fallen in the water) in fairly good depth (8' or more) along with just a touch of current you will most likely find crappies and quite possibly other species. Minnows work well but I only use a plain jig (1/16th oz. is perfect). Vertical jigging is the only way to fish effectively due to the snags. Be prepared to break off quite a bit during the course of a day so don't be using spendy jigs. I usually fish from Red Wing on down. Anywhere you can find backwaters will have the right habitat sooner or later but sometimes the channels are prime, too. I even get crappies in pool 2 near downtown Minneapolis/St. Paul. It's not a bad idea to have an ultralite but anything with sensitivity will do. River fish tend to be bigger and thicker in my opinion. Good luck.

thanks very much i aprreciate the help do you know of lake carnelian if not go to bass and ask for directions from cwmn he should help you he helped me

------------------
catch big fish!