• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"crappie pods"

every year, on a few local lakes ...i encounter a crappie fishermans dream...most crappie fisherman fish the reed lines(the classic way)..i do too..but..found another way...just before the sun goes down....as i'm fishing along the reeds ...i keep watching out into the deeper part of the lake... looking for that telltale sign of a surfacing crappie...pretty soon i'll see one...then a couple more...then more and more...now the fun begins...i paddle my canoe close to these surfacing crappies ...and ive noticed they just stay barely under the surface(with there back fin sticking out of the water)a pattern begins here as i noticed these crappies are in clusters or "pods"...these pods form over the entire lake...in the deeper water...not along the reeds as in classic fishing of crappies...when the crappies are on the surface like this ....anything you throw at them is "inhaled"...fantastic crappie action...when that pod sinks...you move on to the next pod only a a hundred yards away or even less...this happens every year here where i fish ...and on different lakes...guess i was just wondering if anyone else out there fishes for crappies this way......if you don't ......try it.....a great experience.......jon

I have experienced what I think you're talking about, with sunnies as well. I'm from Iowa, and have enjoyed this as farm ponds, though I've heard of a city reservoir having the same thing. It's really exciting! Sometimes I'll cast a mini-crankbait, but mostly I use a small jig (1/64 or 1/32 ounce) under a bobber.
I've seen this more in early fall, only once or twice in the spring.

That happens a lot this time of year when Crappies & Bluegill are in what I call "transition". They have moved out of the warm spring bays but are not yet ready to spawn. They stage in the deeper water near spawning areas. The reason for the fish being near the surface is for two reasons. Food & Temperature. They are able to feed on the surface and the temperature of the the surface water is much warmer then the water below it. This does not last to long because the surface temps rise pretty quickly this time of year and the fish will seek deeper water prior to spawn. Good observation!!ScottS

thanks ....preacher and scott for the comments....there were a few things i forgot to mention in my original posting...the lakes i see this on are generally smaller in size and shallower...even when i see the crappies in the middle that are surfacing...which would be 600 yards from shore...the water there would be about 12'-14'deep...the time of year that these crappies do this is yet to happen ...never had them do the "pod" thing yet....usually starts in mid june to mid july...waters much warmer than it is now for sure...i fully realize that crappies spawn in a "window" from say...55 degrees to 65 degrees(did my research...hee hee)...all i can figure is they may very well be sucking up the surface "warmth"...and ..i noticed a fly hatch..at that time...flies "of some sort"would emerge from below the surface ...sit for a minute or so ...and fly away...these weren't may flies...not being an ..entomologist...i wouldn't know what they are ...but they do it every year...AND...big bull bluegills are mixed in these .."pods"...on occasion also...just makes the fishing more exciting!....just thought i'd add this but alot of times i will take these "podding crappies"on my fly rod...it's fantastic !don't know how many people have caught crappies on a flyrod...feel like a buluga whale on the end of your fly line!...well almost...i'm really looking forward to some great crappie action ...thanks again .........jon

scotts...you can bet i'll be out there looking for those"surfacing crappie rings"...upcomming.......crappieD...not that familiar with southern minnesota crappie fishing(especially from shore)...i use a canoe primarily for my crappie outings...(sneak up on em this way.......lol)...you gotta get that canoe or boat....thanks again ...jon smile.gif

Sixmile jon has a good point. You certainly don't need a fancy boat for crappie fishing. There are lots of small lakes and ponds that have great panfish fishing in them. I fished out of a canoe for many years before I was "allowed" to use the boat. Not only can you get to lots of good spots in a canoe, your balance will improve greatly grin.gif ScottS

Many times, after spawn, I have seen Crappie roam on calm nights over depths as deep as 30 feet, while being just under the surface.

Casting a jig, or poppers often work good when the ol' paperlips are in this mode.

PCG

if i were forced to make a choice for "MY"all around favorite crappie lure....through my 35 years of crappie fishing......it would be......tah dah!...a miniture beetle spin type spinner.......i revise the lure by taking off "there"little plastic "thinghy"and replace it with a" black"...yes ....must be black...no other colors will cut it...1 1/2" mister twister on a 1/32 ounce black lead head jig....this spinner has caught me thousands of crappies over the last 35 years......bar none!(when you think about it ...black is a color in nature...ie...bugs ...they're used to black ...brown...etc)....my next crappie killer ...would be a white 1/32 ounce feather or deer hair jig...i throw this (all by itself a good percentage of the time ...or drift over crappie water ever so slowly so as to keep the jig almost straight down below my canoe)...also use this white jig under a pencil type bobber (thill)i set it from 1 1/2'-5' below ...depends on water depth of course ...next.....but certainly not least....the ole minnow and bobber trick....very seldom use this at all simply because i acquire 95% of my crappies with artificials...very seldom use minnows at all ...the only reason i use minnows and a bobber ...is .......nostalgia....want to see the bobber go down....just very my fishing techniques occasionally...now everyone has ...my ...secrets....lol...yes my tackle box has at least 50 different size jigs ...and colors ..tube jigs ...the whole shooting match....usually i end up going back to my little spinner....now everyone has my crappie secrets...lol....maybe this will help some "newby"boat some crappies in the future....thanks again .........jon smile.gif

Hi guys, I'm new to this interesting site....my girlfriend and I plan on fishin' this weekend, but we're not sure where to go.we are trying to find someplace not too far nor too close to the cities. This is only her second time out. The first time was a blast! Now she's addicted! My question is..we live in Edina and plan to leave the house around 5:30am. What's a good place to go for "casting off the banks". If she has a good crappie day, maybe I can talk her into getting a boat smile.gif

I you are looking for Crappies from Shore then you better head North. I checked out some smaller lakes near Mille Lacs last weekend and they were still getting Crappies in the shallows. As for Central/Southern MN, the best shore fishing is over. Unless you can find one that drops pretty fast near the roadway.

sixmile jon, The lakes I am referring to are also smaller lakes but not necessarily shallow lakes-Some are 30-40 feet deep. The fish are feeding at the surface for a reason, bugs. I guess I didn't state that in my first post I assumed that is what you were talking about. I primarily see this happen between June 1st & 15th depending on the year. If you know what you are looking for it can be an easy way to catch fish that not many people are aware of. Like you said early, cast anything in there and they will take it!ScottS

The most effective technique I use is a 1/32 lead jig head with a red and white tube jig under a one-inch round bobber. Then cast it with a slow retrieve. It is amazing how this will out fish live bait 10 to 1. Anyone who had fished in my boat and tried this setup could not believe its effectiveness. My brother and I call it the "Welfare rig" Give it a try sometime.

[This message has been edited by Pherris (edited 06-02-2002).]

i here ya ...pherris...another reason i prefer not using minnows.......when the bite is on ....and you have only minnows...takes to much time putting the minnows on the hook!....the more time your presentation (jig) is in the water...the quicker a crappie will hit it...the guy with the minnows has to dig in the bucket...drop a minnow on the bottom of the boat ...chase it around ....stick his finger a couple times with the hook.......meanwhile ...i've boated 3 crappies allready.........lol...thanks...jon smile.gif