• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shallow Water Crappies (pre-spawn)

Just wanted to say that when looking for shallow water Crappies, don't overlook shallow water. Let me explain.

Often times people will go to the edges of reed beds and bull rushes, and they might be successful. However, if you don't find success there, move right up against the shore, in as little as 8" of water and try your luck. More often in early spring you'll find Crappies hugging right near shore, especially during mid-day, when the sun is shining. They may be easier to find then, as their backs may be sticking out of the water. Move in quietly and slowly however, as these fish are typically extremely spooky at this time of year.

Sometimes shallow isn't shallow enough.

Good fishing,

PCG

i was out this morning...and yes....the crappies were in water ...about 4 inches deep....water in this lake is almost gin clear ...they are spooky to say the least...they are just now moving into the shallows to spawn ...this week of sunshine is really going to make a difference in the water temps for the crappie spawn...even came up on largemoth in the same areas...they were in right up close to the banks along with the crappies...small sunnies and a few larger bluegills sporadically mixed in also...even saw a big mouth buffaloe sunning himself...few pike also.....no i didn't get any crappies...but had fun watching them...they just wouldn't take anything i offered....better days are comming.......jon

Jon, that very thing happened to me at the pond I fish here in Southern MN. Here is my uneducated theory. Those fish that were extremely shallow were males, at least at the pond they were. I believe they were guarding spawning areas, b/c I would lay a jig infront of their snouts, and they would seem to try and ram it, one crappie snagged itself this way, I landed it to find that it was a male, the only male I caught that day. I caught quite a few crappies that day, all females, all out slightly deeper, all full of spawn. Can anybody bring some sense to what I just said?

MJB