• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor running in reverse when in forward gear

Matt C

My 2009 Yamaha 200 HPDI started running in reverse while it was in forward gear.

My wife was loading the boat on the trailer...or trying I should say.

When she put it in forward to drive it on, the boat went backwards. Finally after a few minutes, she got it to go forward but it was at WOT.

Now, I just went out there to spin the prop to check things out, it is in neutral and is going 'clunk clunk'.

Ideas?

That's one of the weirdest things I have ever heard Matt. I really don't know anything about the newer yammies, but I would guess something with the shift shaft or linkage? Or are these newer motors put into gear electronicly? Like I said, I know zero about the new stuff. I'm guessing it worked fine before your wife took the helm?

Yes it did work fine before she did. smirk

I am finally off work Monday and Tuesday, so I'll dig around a bit on it, maybe a loose cable from the help to the motor?

Or else off to Laannes she goes.

Its a bummer to; having 2 days off, and no fishing? UGGGG.

First off...not sure if it's electronically or mechanically controlled.

If it's mechanical, I am really baffled. Regardless of if the inner cable has slipped, it should never shift down when moving the shift lever forward.

If it's electrical, I would guess some sort of short is happening. Even that doesn't make sense, but it is the best answer I can come up with.

If you end up bringing it into a shop, let me know what the problem was if you have some spare time. This one has me confused!!!