• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Onion for this time of year?

Ice_Fishin07

Sorry.....To late to plant onions for this year.Onions bulb up according to day length hours.They are bulbing right now,with the long daylight.They will start to die down next month.

Planted now.....you would have onions the size of your little finger and not get any larger.

Next spring.....you want to plant onions as early as possible.The earlier they are planted.....the larger the top growth when bulbing starts.The larger the tops....the larger the bulbs will be.

My Candy's are tennis ball to baseball size now.

I don't know where you are in Minnesota (the timing will be different based on location), but radishes are a great late season veggie. Many of my favorites mature in a month or less, and you can plant them in late summer, once it's just started to cool down.

They like cool weather. Radishes in midsummer heat will bolt like crazy (grow tall fast and flower), but when it's cool, the vegetation grows more slowly, allowing for fat, juicy and not too hot radishes.

Up here I'll plant at the end of August. In southern Minnesota, I'd plant in early/mid September, depending on how hot things have been and are expected to be. Cherry Belle and French Breakfast are two of my perennial favorites. They taste great and mature fast.

Of course, if you don't like radishes, this has been useless advice. smile