• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 stroke oil question?

fishingguy

I just bought a used boat. Again, thanks for all the help and info! With a 115 optimax with 41 hrs. Doing some research on type of oil to use. Do I understand correctly. Quick silver is merc oil? Basicly packaged in a gray jug vs merc dealers black jug? And the premium plus is designed for optimax dfi? Just want to confirm what I've found on the net. thx!!!

Yes, Quicksilver is Merc oil. Premium Plus is good stuff, all we use in three motors (non DFI). FF has great price. The Premium PLUS has Quickclean in it, like Ring Free, but low dosage in EVERY tank.

Be careful, as the Optis are a bit different depending upon what motor model. I think your motor uses a special DFI oil rather than normal 2 stroke, and some of the higher hp use Premium Plus. But I am not sure, you need to find out for sure, from some folks that know for sure, or better yet your manual wink Good luck.

contact mercury regarding what oil you need to use. when i contacted them regarding a 96 150 EFI, all they said was i needed to use an oil rated TC-W3. i can get quicksilver TC-W3 for $18/gallon at Sam's Club and my engine runs fine on it.

Morepower, that is what a Merc mechanic told us years ago. I now can't find anything online that says anything other than PLUS has more "Additives" than regular. But we have NEVER used Ring Free or Quickleen in any of our motors (82 50hp, 87 90hp, 97 150efi, 96 rude 25hp), just Premium PLUS and occassionaly Seafoam (always at end of season). So I guess I must take back what I said as "truth" and just say "that is what our mechanic said". Maybe Merc doesn't say it anymore casue they want to sell more Quickleen wink not sure. I also thought it used to say it on the bottle years ago, but can't recall for sure. Either way, it is good oil, and we will stick with it. Other oils are good too I am sure.