• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tomato variety

Get'n Jiggy

I grew it once back when I still grew Hybrids (It's an F1 Hybrid) It's alright... But if I was going to go looking for a Hybrid slicer with early production I would go Early Girl.

As an Heirloom grower, for slicers I go with Black Krim for an early slicer, and Brandywine for a late slicer... With Glacier mixed in for mid range salad slicer.

sometimes use it in containers. it is a sturdy potato leaf variety that has decent sized fruit with med/early maturity. if planting in the ground its bush/determinant characteristics wont take up a lot of space and have a shortened fruit set so it is decent for canning.

sometimes use it in containers. it is a sturdy potato leaf variety that has decent sized fruit with med/early maturity. if planting in the ground its bush/determinant characteristics wont take up a lot of space and have a shortened fruit set so it is decent for canning.

No offense, but I wouldn't can a slicer, unless it's the end of the season etc...

If you're looking to can, and you just want to go Hybrid, then you have to go Roma (Heirloom I go San Marzano)

The thing that is most important with canning is a tomato with a lot of meat and low seeds. Slicers by nature have more gel and higher seed content. The higher the seed content the higher the "Bitterness" you'll have in the canned tomato. (This is the nature of seeds etc...)

A high meat content and low seed tomato like a plum tomato (Roma or San Marzano) carries with it MUCH more culinary value.

Every year I grow around 45 to 50 tomato plants... And at least Half or more of them are Plum tomatoes for canning. While I have a bit of a San Marzano Snob streak running through me... Roma is still one heck of a high quality canning/sauce tomato.

no offence taken, i know that plums are better for canning ....was just giving Jiggy a little feedback on the husky, along with its determinant habit, which concentrates fruit ripening, which if you dont have 50 plants can aid a small gardner in having enough fruit in a short period of time to actually allow for canning. also, how far "up nort" he lives i do not know , but for short season climates sometimes this is a nice alternative to the indeterminate longer maturing plum varieties. sometimes, something is better than nothing wink

no offence taken, i know that plums are better for canning ....was just giving Jiggy a little feedback on the husky, along with its determinant habit, which concentrates fruit ripening, which if you dont have 50 plants can aid a small gardner in having enough fruit in a short period of time to actually allow for canning. also, how far "up nort" he lives i do not know , but for short season climates sometimes this is a nice alternative to the indeterminate longer maturing plum varieties. sometimes, something is better than nothing wink

As far as I'm aware Husky Red is an Indeterminate?

Now if someone say put a gun to my head and told me to pick a type of tomato to grow... I'd go with a plum type, like a Roma or a San Marzano... Aside from Canning and Dehydrating better, turn into salsa, bruchetta and sauces, have deeper savory flavors...

And incorporate into dishes nicely. My wife makes a tomato tart that would just be a watery mess with a slicer... I'll often take San Marzano toms, Blanche them, half, seed... Then I'll drizzle them with olive oil and roast with some garlic cloves... Then I can put them on a sandwich or keep in a zip-bag in the fridge for 2-3 days.

Thanks guys for the info, I was looking for a variety that would work

well in "global buckets" I'm going to try for the first time. Sounds

like Husky red will fill my needs, don't get into canning or salsa just

slicers. I'm also putting in a couple Earl Girls so I guess I've got

it covered, I always appreciate the help grin