• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deciding what lens?

I need some help in deciding what lens to purchase. I bought a Cannon Rebel XSi about a year ago and really enjoy it. I mainly shoot wildlife and scenery. I want to be able to get better bird shots and am looking at investing in a quality lens. Right now I have the two lenses that my camera came with:

EFS 18-55mm

EF 75-300mm

If you could suggest a good lens for wildlife shooting with birds as a main focus would one of these be a good choice:

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

or is there a better option? The two listed above are at the top of my price range.

Also does anyone have experience with Kenko Extension Tubes? I was thinking about investing in a set to try out some macro without the cost of a macro lens.

Any other input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

ff, the Sigma definitely gets the nod. You already have the focal length range of the 70-200 covered, and for avian photography, reach can be vital. The 150-500 is a very good lens. Jumping from 300 to 500mm involves a learning curve, mostly because you have to work hard at your steadying technique, even with the OS, but once you develop that discipline (and a tripod/monopod is a great option as well), you'll likely be quite happy with the Siggie.

I've used the Kenko tubes extensively. Excellent kit for not much money.