• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbie question

I have been looking at a Pelican DLX 15 1/2' canoe. I have two boys 14, and 12. Most times it would just be 2 of us, but occasionally all three of us would go out. We went down the Cannon last year and had a blast catching some smallies.

My questions are this:

Is this canoe a good option for us? We would probably just hit some rivers and small lakes. Does anyone have one, or used one? Is is stable to fish out of? Are they durable, or would it get beat up badly on a shallow river?

Thanks,

Greg

ENMIFDAD, I can't answer your question about that specific model. But, you might go to a dealer with your boys (and your gear--everything from tackleboxes to paddles) and see what fits with enough room to be comfortable and safe. That way, you could see for certain if you have enough room. You might hit up the Northwest Sportsman's Show and look for dealers there to get a few different opinions/ pricepoints/ options. If you can wait to buy, you might be able to actually get a few boats on the water. That way you can see how the boat (and the boys) react when someone starts rocking real hard or standing up. grin

As far as durability goes, it's really tough to beat an aluminum canoe. They aren't the lightest or the prettiest, but they're pretty well bomb-proof.