• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do the different rod blank dimensions mean?

Hi all,

I'm curious what the different dimensions actually mean. I keep seeing Tip dimensions of 2.5 or 6.5 or a (2.0/64" Tip) Is this simply a measurement so we can decide which rod tip top we need, or does the measurement reflect action in anyway.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, the butt size allows us to purchase the correct handle yes?

I'm looking to make some ice rods and I am hoping to make a super light action tip that will work like a spring bobber.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I'm curious what the different dimensions actually mean. I keep seeing Tip dimensions of 2.5 or 6.5 or a (2.0/64" Tip) Is this simply a measurement so we can decide which rod tip top we need, or does the measurement reflect action in anyway.

This is just a measurement to know what tip size you will need.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, the butt size allows us to purchase the correct handle yes?

Not so much the handle, but more or less if you do a fancy butt cap you might need the appropriate size of things.

I'm looking to make some ice rods and I am hoping to make a super light action tip that will work like a spring bobber.

The action power of the rod blank will tell you how fast the blank will react

Thanks in advance!

Rod blank power is simply a rating. Based upon the design characteristics of a particular blank model.

Rod Power categories are as follows:

* UL- Ultra-Light

* Light

* ML-Med/Light

* Medium

* Medium Heavy

* Heavy

* Extra Heavy

* Ultra Heavy

Rod Action refers to how much a rod bends when you're casting or have a fish at the end of the line. An extra fast action rod bends just at the tip. A fast action bends in the last quarter of the rod. A moderate-fast action rod bends over the last third. A moderate action rod bends over the last half. A slow action rod bends all the way into the handle. Fast action rods put more force into your throw and give you longer casts. Softer action rods are more forgiving and have less tendency to throw live bait from your hook.

For instance, if you were choosing to fish bluegill. A light power, fast action spinning rod is a good choice.

For bass a common setup is a medium power, moderate fast or fast action baitcasting rod.

one of my favorites walleye setups is a moderate fast action. I pitch a lot of jigs and this is the setup I prefer. The slightly softer action usually helps prevent you from throwing off the bait while casting. Although I typically use plastics.

and then the heavy actions are typically used for muskies, cats, maybe some trolling.

Hope this helps you!

What type of fishing do you want to do? panfish? I would say go with a ultra light fast action blank if you are going for panfish.

I cut my teeth building ice rods recently and have since decided that until I get upgraded equipment or develop better techniques, I will not be building UL panfish rods. I think I aged a few years during my last build. I managed to get a handle, blank, guides, thread and epoxy to 28 grams. Super light rod but I'm done building them, unless my fingers magically get smaller.

Small diameter, smaller guides. Just like Pure said, they are harder to do until you have experience.

I justified learning on ice blanks by figuring that if I royally screwed something up, which I've been known to do, it would be on a less expensive scale than ruining a $50 blank.

If you're getting into it, find some older junk rods and practice wrapping guides on to them. You develop a feel for wrapping over time.

I learned the basics on youtube. If you live in the cities, you can go to Midwest Rod & Reel in Prior Lake, Ive had what I felt were pretty rookie questions that Al answered for me and even showed me a few tricks in the shop. They have a first class operation and will help you figure out which way is up.