• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some help please

Silkworm

I recently purchased a 95 Polaris xcr indy special triple. Everything was fine when I test drove it, but during my inaugural voyage back home the headlight on the sled began going dim and then bright again. After awhile all of my dash lights and everything else started going on and off. At first the lights would only go out for a few seconds but the longer I drove they began staying off for longer until finally it got to the point that the lights where only coming on for about 5 seconds every 5 minutes or so. I finally reached the lake and opened it up to about 70 mph as I was backing it down to approximately 55 mph the whole sled just went dead, lights, engine, everything. I changed the voltage regulator but it still will not start. Any suggestions?

Pistons are shot. Apparently the headlight problem had nothing to do with the sled dying. At least it has a new voltage regulator, so maybe the headlights will work when the pistons are fixed. Paid $1,250.00 for the sled, $542 for parts, $175 for labor, $180 to bore the pistons. Getting sold a lemon = Priceless.

Well, on the up side it will hopefully run like new. I would however suggest that you (or they) clean the carbs before your next "inaugural" ride so you dont end up with the same result.

Lean conditions from dirty carbs are probably the number one cause of piston failure. wink