• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Poor fuel economy XC 500 SP

Shoogs32

I have a 2000 Polaris 500 XC SP, my mileage is really bad compared to other sleds I ride with on a regular basis(2001 500 xc, 1998 600 xc). I use almost twice as much fuel as the other guys.

As far as I know everything is stock. I run synthetic oil. The carbs have been clean, the valves have been gone thru.

Also, I know I didn't buy a snowmobile for mileage, but there has to be something I can do.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

I have a 2000 Polaris 500 XC SP, my mileage is really bad compared to other sleds I ride with on a regular basis(2001 500 xc, 1998 600 xc). I use almost twice as much fuel as the other guys.

As far as I know everything is stock. I run synthetic oil. The carbs have been clean, the valves have been gone thru.

Also, I know I didn't buy a snowmobile for mileage, but there has to be something I can do.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

What size tank do you have? Is it just smaller then their? If not you may have to clean the carbs and re-jet them.

If the motor seems to be running fine, the first thing I would do is check for free movement of the track and idler wheels, and make sure the brake is not sticking. Then check belt width, the clutches for full and free movement and the alignment of the clutches. If any of these things are binding or out of adjustment, you will be into the throttle much more than the other riders just to keep the same pace.

Keep in mind that riding style is also a big factor in mileage. If you are "into it hard" out of every corner and "on the brakes" coming in you are going to use more too.

One common mistake that alot of people make is overtightening the chain tensioner in the chaincase. You may want to take a look at that. On all the sleds I have ever owned I back the tensioner off all the way and then tighten it up snug with my fingers then lock the jam nut. It doesnt have to be any tighter than that. If it is, your just robbing power and efficiency (ie. milage).