• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Puppy VS. Crate

smallie1

Help! I have a 12 week old GWP that is terrified of the crate. I have tried everything I can think of. Door completely off crate dog will enter, if door is attached she will not go in. When door is closed she goes crazy, foaming at the mouth chewing at the door and non stop barking.Tried toys & treat, also hanging out while watching TV. Some days better than others, any suggetions?

Wow...she gets that worked up, eh? My GWP wasn't too keen on his kennel at first, but he'd usually settle down after a bit. He doesn't like to be in it when we are home (which is understandable) but does go in on command and has been sleeping soundly through the night (he is 15 weeks old).

What we did was practice throwing treats in the kennel and hiding them under a towel. This caused him to go into the crate and search for a bit to find all the pieces.

Another question: Is this a brand new crate or have you used it with other dogs? If it is a reused crate, you may want to give it a good washing. Chances are the pup is smelling the other dog and doesn't like it (might have been aggressive or dominant).

Anyway, good luck. The guys here probably will have more/better suggestions for you.