• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer hub question

Lostbay

Hope this is the right forum for this question?

I have shorelandr trailer that needs new hubs. I've figured out the inner and outer bearing sizes and the bolt diameter and think I've found a replacement online. My question is about the grease seals. The sizes listed on replacment kits (pre-asembled and pre-greased) don't exactly match up with the bearing size. The bearing sizes are both 1 1 /16 and the grease seals are 1 1/4 and 1 1/2(on the kit). This is not the shorlandr factory kit but is much cheaper. Any help is appreciated.

you need to use a micrometer and measure across the seal surface on the spindle. that will tell you what size the seal is on the inside, then measure across the area where the seal mounts in the hub that will give you the outside size of the seal. if you can clean the old bearings there is usually a number stamped or printed on the outter edge of the bearing. could be nsk, fag, or another brand then the number. Worse case take the hub, bearings, and seal to a bearing house and ask them to measure them or give you the part numbers. Good luck

My confusion is that owners manual lists a size of grease (or spindle) seal that is different than the one that comes with the pre-assembled kit. The manual lists the seal as the same size as the bearings. According to Big Buck Buster this is not a problem???

The kit I am looking at matches all my other dimensions and says you only need to know number of bolts, diameter, and size of both bearings? They don't mention measuring seals...This leads me to wonder if the seal size is standard or not?

Maybe I shouldn't have read the manual and given myself this headache???

11 years old, don't want to be the guy on the side of the road with major trailer malfunction. In addition there is grease splattered on the rims, can't tell how long ago that happened though...

They have to be replaced at some point, don't they? I shoot grease through the bearing buddy once a year but doesn't that just get the outer bearing? doesn't it have to be taken apart to regrease the inner bearing?

I would just take them apart and pack them yourself. You can take the old seal to most auto parts stores and they will match them up for you. They also will have the bearings for you. If you take the old seal out and clean it up, there should be a number they can cross over to there particular part number.

I agree with Big Buck Buster on both posts seals are going to be a bit larger inside diameter and I would just clean up the old hubs and replace bearings, races, and seals. Much cheaper. The hubs usually dont go bad unless you have a bearing go bad and get them that hot. The grease on the rim is from a bad seal or just to much grease that oozed out.