• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any one very familiar with Merc 60 hp 4 strokes?

sparkyaber

What is that little cast aluminum box on the head ,near the bottom,that has 2 fuel lines and two water lines in it? One fuel line comes from the filter, and goes into the side, and leaves through the top, headed for what I think is the vapor thingy, I think that is the technical term. The water goes in the top, from who knows where, and out the bottom directly to the pee hole. We could not for the life of us figure out why the water was running through that fuel pump? (I think it is a fuel pump). The only guess I have is cooling it?

Here is the story of why I ask:

My father has a pontoon with a 60 hp merc bigfoot. The whole family was up at his place on the lake and we decided to take it for a ride. Get all of the grand kids on and loaded, check, few beverages and snacks, check, Beatles cd check, ignition, check, pee stream, uh oh. Well we dive in and are doing on the water repair. Dad swears he replaced the impeller this spring before putting it in the water. Well I pull what looks to be some sort of fuel pump off the head. (temporally dropping one nut in the bottom of the shroud). Pulled the water hoses off this thing and it pees like crazy. Took it all apart and found 2 pieces of metal filings in the water passage way. (Rush lake treated weeds with iron filings). Removed trash and it worked perfectly.

I believe its a fuel cooler. You dont want fuel vaporizing in the fuel lines. Many of you may remember the older vehicles having some vapor locking issues. Not to pick on Fords, but I remember a friends Bronco that vapor locked often on hot days.