• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bad Honda Tillers

Ufatz

I offer this in hope it might save somebody trouble and money. Bought a nice Honda 4-stroke garden tiller. Didn't use it all that much; just tilled a small potato patch and couple small garden patches. It started right up this spring but the tiller/tines did not turn. Short of it: transmission trashed. Honda Service center guy says "Oh year. Another one of those. It will cost you close to $200 to repair it (parts alone $180) so decision is yours." I took the dandy little Honda engine off and tossed the rest.

Think about this before you buy what seemed to be a wonderful, quiet,, smooth running little machine. And before you suggest it: this till was NOT abused-I doubt it had ten hours on it.

For what it's worth.

Sounds familiar. Had the same thing happen to me with the Harmony self propelled mower. did some research and found it to be very common. I also had a odyssey van that went thru two transmissions..and at 3 grand to fix stings more than the smaller stuff. Im done with hondas unless its maybe a generator

Are you talking about the small tillers honda makes? I have a small tiller that has been used a lot over the last 5 yrs and this year the tines wouldn't turn when I tried it for the first time, checked the grease and filled it with gear oil and with a couple of pounds it has been working fine. After reading the owners manual it sounds like I should have been greasing it every year, lack of grease and it won't work well!

As my original note says "Honda 4-stoke tiller".....so yes it is the "little tiller that Honda makes."

I COULD have it repaired, but it would cost close to what I PAID for the tiller new.

If you are shopping for a small garden tiller you may want to think twice about paying for a device that apparently has a mighty poor record for durability. Transmissions are a KNOWN weak spot.